The SCAA's education program is an important part of our mandate. Workshop topics have included copyright, arrangement and description of archival holdings, digitization for archives, managing audio-visual records, the preservation of historic photographs, the preservation of optical and magnetic media (modern information carriers), and public awareness for archives.
See our list of previous workshops below.
Monday, October 31, 2022
9:30am to 11:30pm ; Via Zoom Video conference
Standardized Arrangement and Description are two of the key phases when providing intellectual control over and access to archival records. The use of the MemorySask database provides this standardization while allowing access to your institution’s holdings. By providing a template using the Rules for Archival Description (RAD), the Canadian Archival Description Standard, it ensures that the information about your records is consistent and complete so that staff and researchers can understand the creation, organization, and use of the records.
This workshop will be presented in an online format using Zoom. Participants will be provided with workshop materials and a link a few days before the session.
This course will be of particular interest to member institutions who are doing descriptions for archival material, for finding aids and/or entries into MemorySask. This workshop may touch on some ways research can be conducted using MemorySask but will not focus on it.
Lisa Snider has been the MemoryBC Coordinator for Archives Association of British Columbia since 2016. Since 2019, she has been working for the Council of Nova Scotia Archives in roles such as Interim Archives Advisor and MemoryNS Coordinator. She was the Archeion Coordinator for the Archives Association of Ontario from 2016 to 2022 and worked with the SCAA on contract in 2021-2022. Lisa has been a digital archivist since 2010, and has worked in different archives, including: Brock University, The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin, and the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. She has worked with every aspect of archival work, including the preservation and access of born digital and analog materials, and has extensive experience working with AtoM since 2010. Lisa is also a well-known digital accessibility advocate and has been making digital materials more accessible for people with disabilities since 1999.
Cameron Hart has been the SCAA’s full-time Archives Advisor since 2009. Prior to that starting in 2001 he was an SCAA contracted employee specializing in work on the SAIN database (now MemorySask).
REGISTRATION FEE (per person):
**Complimentary for current Individual and Institutional Members in good standing**
Each Institutional member may have multiple attendees for this virtual workshop.
Non-members - $50.00
You can purchase an SCAA membership and take advantage of the member rate by clicking here:
Complete the registration form downloadable here.
Through SaskCulture and the Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund for Sport, Culture, and Recreation, the SCAA is able to offer financial support for members' travel to Council-sponsored workshops as well as other professional development opportunities. The guidelines and application form are available for download below. Completed applications should be sent to the SCAA office.
Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists,
PO Box 31122 RPO Normanview
The SCAA was pleased to offer a one-day workshop in Humboldt for free that introduced participants to the basic archival functions of digitization of archival material, its preservation and storage. Discussion will also touch on the acquisition of “born-digital” items by Archival Institutions as well as reasons for digitizing material.
The SCAA wishes to thank those who attended the "Basic Archives" workshop for volunteers on in Craik at the Craik Oral History Museum.
This workshop is structured for a novice or someone looking for a refresher and would include:
- What are Archives?
- Archival Institutions and the Role of the Archivist
- Fundamental Principles of Archives
- Appraisal and Acquisition
- Arrangement and Description
- Making Archives Available
- Preservation and the Digital World
The SCAA is asking if there is any interest in future "Basic Archives" workshops.
Dates and locations will be determined by the level of interest.
- November 23, 2021 - RAD Refresher (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Glandt, Education and Advisory Services (EAS) Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- July 22, 2021 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Online Zoom presentation) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- February 10, 2022 - Basic Digitization (Lloydminster) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 24, 2022 - What's Normal About Anxiety (Online Zoom presentation) Shannon Gander, Mental Health and Resiliency Strategist
- November 27, 2020 - The Basics of Copyright Workshop (Online Zoom presentation) Dr. Jean Dryden, Copyright educator and author
- January 14 + 19, 2021 - Appraisal and De-accessioning (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Glandt, Education and Advisory Services (EAS) Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- February 18 + 23, 2021 - Managing Archival Photographs (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Glandt, Education and Advisory Services (EAS) Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- March 11, 2021 - MemorySask Walk-thru (Online Zoom presentation) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- April 10, 2019 - CCI: Digital Preservation Workshop (Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Public Library) Ern Bieman, Heritage Information Analyst - Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN) - the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI)
- June 24, 2019 - AGM Presentations - SCAA "Day of Connection" - SCAA members show off projects they have been working on. (North Battleford - Allan Sapp Gallery/ City of North Battleford Historic Archives) Nadine Charabin - Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan; Angelique Tardivel - Société Historique de la Saskatchewan; Jeremy Mohr - Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan; Tammy Donahue Buziak - City of North Battlford Historic Archives; Mark Vajcner, University of Regina Archivist; Ken Dahl, City of Saskatoon Archives; Donald Duncan, Chaiman of the Lloydminster Regional Archives; Stevie Horn - Saskatoon Public Library - Local History.
- January 28-29, 2020 - Archives 101: Archival Practice for Indigenous Organizations (Saskatoon - Western Development Museum) Lisa Glandt, EAS Coordinator and Archives Advisor for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- June 18, 2018 - AGM Presentations - SCAA "Day of Connection" - SCAA members show off projects they have been working on. (Regina - University of Regina) Mark Vajcner, University of Regina Archivist; Jeremy Mohr, Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan; Stevie Horn University of Saskatchewan Archives Assistant; Dana Turgeon and Melissa Munro, City of Regina Archivists; Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor; Tim Hutchinson (via video), University of Saskatchewan Archivist; Donald Johnston (presented by Jeremy Mohr), Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan Special Media Archivist; Leesha Cowan (via video), University of Manitoba Archival Studies Graduate; Donald Duncan, Chaiman of the Lloydminster Regional Archives
- July 23, 2018 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Craik - Craik Oral History Archives) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- January 26, 2019 - Introduction to Basic Digitization (Humboldt) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 19, 2019 - Audiovisual Preservation Workshop (Regina - Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (Henderson facility)) Donald Johnson, Provincial Archives Special Media Archivist.
- June 23, 2017 - AGM Presentation: Information Webinar on ARCHIVESCANADA Digital Preservation Service (ACDPS) (Swift Current) Sarah Allain, Systems Archivist for Artefactual, the creators of the Access to Memory DB (AtoM) and Archivmatica.
- September 18+19, 2017 - CCI: Care and Handling of Photographic Materials Workshop (Humboldt) Greg Hill and Crystal Maitland of the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI)
- March 12,2018 - Indigenous-Settler relationships, decolonization, and reconciliation, called the Respect and Relationship Session. (Regina - First Nations University) Eugene Arcand (Residential School Survivor); Blanket Exercise presented by Kairos and facilitated by Michael Cardinal and others with stories from the elder Lillian Piapot.
- June 24, 2016 - AGM Presentation: Collecting and organizing documents of Residential Schools for the Truth & Reconciliation Commission (Saskatoon - Western Development Museum) Melanie Delva, Archivist for the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster Provincial Synod of BC & Yukon.
- September 17, 2016 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - Regina Public Library) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- September 20, 2016 - Aboriginal Awareness Workshop (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Indigenous Cultural Centre (SICC)
- February 27-28, 2017 - Digital Preservation Workshop (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) Jeremy Heil, Digital and Private Records Archivist at Queen’s University Archives.
- April 29, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Esterhazy - Esterhazy Community Museum) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 10, 2015 - AGM Presentation: SaskCulture Diversity Planning Program (Regina prior to ACA Conference) Dean Kush, SaskCulture, Assistant General Manager
- October 5, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Saskatoon Public Library) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- January 13, 2016 - Copyright for Archives and Libraries (Regina - University of Regina) Dr. Jean Dryden, Professor at University of Maryland
- April 10, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Dance Saskatchewan Inc.) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- May 28, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - SCAA/b-Creative offices) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 20, 2014 - AGM Presentation: Main Street - Prince Albert Program (Prince Albert - Prince Albert Historical Society) Bob Gill, Main Street PA Coordinator
- October 7, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Melfort - Melfort and District Museum) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 27, 2015 - Emergency Preparedness for Flooding (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) Jane Dalley, Dalley-Froggat Heritage Conservation Services
- April 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- May 31, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Watrous) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 21, 2013 - AGM Presentation Digitizing Saskatchewan: Strategies and Best Practices for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Content (Moose Jaw) Craig Herkima, Joel Salt, Lindsay Stokalko - Sask. History Online
- September 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (North Battleford) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- October 25, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Rosetown) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- December 6, 2013 - Copyright and Archival Collections (Saskatoon) Dr. Jean Dryden
- March 26, 2014 - CCI Modern Information Carriers (Yorkton) Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI
- June 2012 - Day prior to AGM - Social Media: Strategy to Execution (North Battleford) Braden Cannon, Special Projects Archivist, Provincial Archives of Alberta
- September 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Lloydminster) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- October 2012 - Care of Photographic Material (Saskatoon) Greg Hill, Film Conservator, Canadian Conservation Institute
- March 2013 - An Introduction to Understanding Media Collections (Regina) Christina Stewart, Media Archivist, Toronto
- August 2011 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- September 2011 - RAD Refresher (Regina) Kelly Stewart, EAS Coordinator for the Archives Association of BC (AABC)
- March 2, 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Moose Jaw) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 14-15, 2012 - Emergency Planning (Saskatoon) Rosaleen Hill, AABC BCAPS Coordinator
- March 30, 2012 - Mini-Media Boot Camp (Regina) Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.
- June 2010 - AGM Presentation: Archival Research Experiences (La Ronge) Doug Chisholm researcher and Frank Korvemaker, the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan
- October 2010 - Introduction to Archives (Regina) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- October 2010 - Developing & Implementing a Holdings Maintenance Program (Regina) Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services
- March 2011 - A Privacy Primer - (Regina) Erin M. S. Kleisinger, Partner, McDougall-Gauley, LLP
- May 2009 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 2009 - Day prior to AGM: Copyright Law (Saskatoon) Dr. Jean Dryden
- September 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 2010 - Introduction to Managing a Digitization Project (Regina) Rosaleen Hill, AABC BCAPS Coordinator and Kelly Stewart, AABC EAS Coordinator
- May 2008 - Archives and You conference and workshops (Regina) - organized by CCA with SCAA
- August 2008 - Introduction to Managing Archival Sound and Moving Image Materials (Saskatoon) Bill Wagner, Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan and Brock Silversides
- March 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) (Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist)
- July 2007 - Archival Description: Inventories and Finding Aids (RAD Part I) (Regina) Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist
- August 2007 - Archival Description: Headings and References (RAD part II) (Saskatoon) Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- Introduction to Archives (Prince Albert) Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor
- November 2007 - Public Awareness (Saskatoon) Kim Ali, Leah Brodie and Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.
- June 2006 - AGM Presentation: Office Ergonomics (Craik) Sask. Occupational Health and Safety
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2007 - Emergency Preparedness (Saskatoon) Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services
- June 2005 - Workshops organized by SCAA and conducted in partnership with the Association of Canadian Archivists (ACA) Conference (Saskatoon)
- Promotion and Archives
- Administering Privacy & Access Legislation in Canadian Archives
- Digitization Round-table
- Aboriginal Awareness
- March 2006 - Exhibits and Promotions (Saskatoon) Greg Burke, Curator of the Diefenbaker Canada Centre, and Dr. Barbara Phillips
- March 2006 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2005 - Copyright Law (Regina) Dr. Jean Dryden
- November 2003 - Advanced archival photograph workshop (Saskatoon) Manfred Buchheit, Newfoundland and Labrador photographer
- March 2004 -CCI Modern information carriers (Regina) Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI
- May 2002 - Addressing Digitization: Issues, Myths and Challenges (Regina) Terry Kuny
- February 2003 - Arrangement and Description (Moose Jaw) Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist
- Basic Archives Day (Prince Albert)
- Preparing for a Conservation Assessment at Your Archives (Saskatoon)
- Raising CAIN on the Prairies (Regina) - joint Saskatchewan/Manitoba workshop
- Archival Principles and Procedures (Lloydminster) Janice Brum, SCAA Outreach Archivist