The SCAA's education program is an important part of our mandate. Workshop topics have included copyright, arrangement and description of archival holdings, digitization for archives, managing audio-visual records, the preservation of historic photographs, the preservation of optical and magnetic media (modern information carriers), and public awareness for archives.
See our list of previous workshops below.
Tuesday October 24, 2023, 10 am – 4 pm in the South Meeting Room of the 2nd Floor in the Moose Jaw Public Library, 461 Langdon Crescent, Moose Jaw, SK
Kristin Catherwood Mantta, Director of Living Heritage, Heritage Saskatchewan will present Refreshing the Record & Keeping Stories Workshop
(Collecting and Keeping Oral histories)
Kristin is a storyteller, writer and folklorist. Raised on a family farm in southern Saskatchewan, Kristin is passionate about the cultural landscape of the rural prairies. Her graduate thesis resulted in The Barn Hunter blog which chronicled her cultural explorations of rural life. Trained in the methodology of the American Folklife Centre at the Library of Congress, Kristin is experienced in heritage documentation. In her work with ICH, Kristin uses storytelling as a tool to connect people with place, and believes in empowering communities to tell their own stories and curate their own heritage. She currently sits on the advisory committee of the CCUNESCO Memory of the World Documentary Heritage Register and holds a UNESCO Co-Chair in Living Heritage & Sustainable Livelihoods.
10:00 – 10:30 am
Tour of the Moose Jaw Art Gallery
10:30 – 11:30 am
Refreshing the Record: Heritage Saskatchewan’s Community Living Heritage Projects
Since 2017 Heritage Saskatchewan, a non-profit organization, has produced five community-based living heritage projects: Coal in Coronach (2017); Val Marie Elevator (2018); gee meeyo pimawtshinawn/It Was a Good Life: Saskatchewan Métis Road Allowance Memories (2019); Covid-19 Culture (2020); and Black and Rural Saskatchewan (2022). Incorporating tenets of UNESCO’s 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage, the projects document living heritage in Saskatchewan communities. All the materials collected for the projects, ranging from oral and video interviews, associated transcripts, photographs, and finished documentary videos and written publications, have been donated to the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (PAS) to ensure contemporary living heritage in the province has a place in the permanent record. The key to the success of these projects has been a strong emphasis on relationship-building and community outreach, particularly to underrepresented groups like rural and remote communities, Indigenous, Métis, Black, and Hutterite communities, to mention a few. This approach, and the vision of continuing to contribute to the provincial archives, serves to refresh and revitalize the historical record in Saskatchewan.
11:30 am - 12:30 pm Lunch will be provided.
12:30 – 4:00 pm
Keeping Stories: The Art of the Oral History Interview
Workshop Description: What stories does your community have to tell? Are you interested in learning how to properly document oral traditions in your family or community? In this workshop, participants will learn:
- The basics of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) as outlined in the UNESCO Convention, and why documentation of local history and traditions is so important
- How to conduct an oral history/oral traditions interview
- Proper recording techniques, including recommendations for digital recording equipment
- What to with the data once you’ve collected it, including storage, metadata and how to utilize the material in projects.
- Introduction to ICH and the importance of documentation
- Equipment and technology outline
- Recording techniques
- Interview etiquette
- Creating metadata and processing interview material
- Proper storage of digital files
- How to use the material in heritage projects
- Mock interview
This presentation and workshop will be an in-person event.
Culture and heritage professionals and volunteers, anyone with an interest in documentation, including those who want to record family heritage.
Minimum # Attendees: 10 Maximum # Attendees: 20
*All fees are per person.
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION FEE: (Deadline Oct.3rd)
Members - $100.00
Non-members - $150.00
REGULAR REGISTRATION FEE: (Deadline Oct. 18th)
Members - $150.00
Non-members - $200.00
Museums Association of Saskatchewan (MAS) members are eligible to register at SCAA member rates for this workshop only.
You can purchase an SCAA membership and take advantage of the member rate by clicking here:
Registration for the Workshop using....
A Google Form here
Download Manual Form here
Through SaskCulture and the Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund for Sport, Culture, and Recreation, the SCAA is able to offer financial support for members' travel to Council-sponsored workshops as well as other professional development opportunities. The guidelines and application form are available for download below. Completed applications should be sent to the SCAA office.
Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists,
PO Box 31122 RPO Normanview
The SCAA is pleased to offer a one-day workshop for free that introduces participants to the basic archival functions of digitization of archival material, its preservation and storage. Discussion will also touch on the acquisition of “born-digital” items by Archival Institutions as well as reasons for digitizing material.
The SCAA wishes to thank those who attended the "Basic Archives" workshop for volunteers on in Craik at the Craik Oral History Museum.
This workshop is structured for a novice or someone looking for a refresher and would include:
- What are Archives?
- Archival Institutions and the Role of the Archivist
- Fundamental Principles of Archives
- Appraisal and Acquisition
- Arrangement and Description
- Making Archives Available
- Preservation and the Digital World
The SCAA is asking if there is any interest in future "Basic Archives" workshops.
Dates and locations will be determined by the level of interest.
- June 23, 2022 - Reconcilliation through Treaty Relationship (Online Zoom presentation) Annie Battiste, Speaker from th Office of the Treaty Commissioner
- October 31, 2022 - MemorySask Instructional Workshop (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Snider, MemoryBC and MemoryNS Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC) and Council of Nova Scotia Archives (CNSA)
- February 23, 2023 - How to Keep a Personal Archives (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 27+28, 2023 - Archival Preservation Workshop (Online Zoom presentation) Iona McCraith, Heritage Consultant, former Archives Advisor for the Archives Association of Ontario (AAO)
- November 23, 2021 - RAD Refresher (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Glandt, Education and Advisory Services (EAS) Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- July 22, 2021 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Online Zoom presentation) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- February 10, 2022 - Basic Digitization (Lloydminster) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 24, 2022 - What's Normal About Anxiety (Online Zoom presentation) Shannon Gander, Mental Health and Resiliency Strategist
- November 27, 2020 - The Basics of Copyright Workshop (Online Zoom presentation) Dr. Jean Dryden, Copyright educator and author
- January 14 + 19, 2021 - Appraisal and De-accessioning (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Glandt, Education and Advisory Services (EAS) Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- February 18 + 23, 2021 - Managing Archival Photographs (Online Zoom presentation) Lisa Glandt, Education and Advisory Services (EAS) Coordinator for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- March 11, 2021 - MemorySask Walk-thru (Online Zoom presentation) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- April 10, 2019 - CCI: Digital Preservation Workshop (Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Public Library) Ern Bieman, Heritage Information Analyst - Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN) - the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI)
- June 24, 2019 - AGM Presentations - SCAA "Day of Connection" - SCAA members show off projects they have been working on. (North Battleford - Allan Sapp Gallery/ City of North Battleford Historic Archives) Nadine Charabin - Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan; Angelique Tardivel - Société Historique de la Saskatchewan; Jeremy Mohr - Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan; Tammy Donahue Buziak - City of North Battlford Historic Archives; Mark Vajcner, University of Regina Archivist; Ken Dahl, City of Saskatoon Archives; Donald Duncan, Chaiman of the Lloydminster Regional Archives; Stevie Horn - Saskatoon Public Library - Local History.
- January 28-29, 2020 - Archives 101: Archival Practice for Indigenous Organizations (Saskatoon - Western Development Museum) Lisa Glandt, EAS Coordinator and Archives Advisor for the Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC)
- June 18, 2018 - AGM Presentations - SCAA "Day of Connection" - SCAA members show off projects they have been working on. (Regina - University of Regina) Mark Vajcner, University of Regina Archivist; Jeremy Mohr, Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan; Stevie Horn University of Saskatchewan Archives Assistant; Dana Turgeon and Melissa Munro, City of Regina Archivists; Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor; Tim Hutchinson (via video), University of Saskatchewan Archivist; Donald Johnston (presented by Jeremy Mohr), Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan Special Media Archivist; Leesha Cowan (via video), University of Manitoba Archival Studies Graduate; Donald Duncan, Chaiman of the Lloydminster Regional Archives
- July 23, 2018 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Craik - Craik Oral History Archives) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- January 26, 2019 - Introduction to Basic Digitization (Humboldt) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 19, 2019 - Audiovisual Preservation Workshop (Regina - Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (Henderson facility)) Donald Johnson, Provincial Archives Special Media Archivist.
- June 23, 2017 - AGM Presentation: Information Webinar on ARCHIVESCANADA Digital Preservation Service (ACDPS) (Swift Current) Sarah Allain, Systems Archivist for Artefactual, the creators of the Access to Memory DB (AtoM) and Archivmatica.
- September 18+19, 2017 - CCI: Care and Handling of Photographic Materials Workshop (Humboldt) Greg Hill and Crystal Maitland of the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI)
- March 12,2018 - Indigenous-Settler relationships, decolonization, and reconciliation, called the Respect and Relationship Session. (Regina - First Nations University) Eugene Arcand (Residential School Survivor); Blanket Exercise presented by Kairos and facilitated by Michael Cardinal and others with stories from the elder Lillian Piapot.
- June 24, 2016 - AGM Presentation: Collecting and organizing documents of Residential Schools for the Truth & Reconciliation Commission (Saskatoon - Western Development Museum) Melanie Delva, Archivist for the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster Provincial Synod of BC & Yukon.
- September 17, 2016 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - Regina Public Library) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- September 20, 2016 - Aboriginal Awareness Workshop (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Indigenous Cultural Centre (SICC)
- February 27-28, 2017 - Digital Preservation Workshop (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) Jeremy Heil, Digital and Private Records Archivist at Queen’s University Archives.
- April 29, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Esterhazy - Esterhazy Community Museum) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 10, 2015 - AGM Presentation: SaskCulture Diversity Planning Program (Regina prior to ACA Conference) Dean Kush, SaskCulture, Assistant General Manager
- October 5, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Saskatoon Public Library) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- January 13, 2016 - Copyright for Archives and Libraries (Regina - University of Regina) Dr. Jean Dryden, Professor at University of Maryland
- April 10, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Dance Saskatchewan Inc.) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- May 28, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - SCAA/b-Creative offices) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 20, 2014 - AGM Presentation: Main Street - Prince Albert Program (Prince Albert - Prince Albert Historical Society) Bob Gill, Main Street PA Coordinator
- October 7, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Melfort - Melfort and District Museum) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 27, 2015 - Emergency Preparedness for Flooding (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) Jane Dalley, Dalley-Froggat Heritage Conservation Services
- April 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- May 31, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Watrous) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 21, 2013 - AGM Presentation Digitizing Saskatchewan: Strategies and Best Practices for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Content (Moose Jaw) Craig Herkima, Joel Salt, Lindsay Stokalko - Sask. History Online
- September 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (North Battleford) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- October 25, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Rosetown) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- December 6, 2013 - Copyright and Archival Collections (Saskatoon) Dr. Jean Dryden
- March 26, 2014 - CCI Modern Information Carriers (Yorkton) Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI
- June 2012 - Day prior to AGM - Social Media: Strategy to Execution (North Battleford) Braden Cannon, Special Projects Archivist, Provincial Archives of Alberta
- September 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Lloydminster) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- October 2012 - Care of Photographic Material (Saskatoon) Greg Hill, Film Conservator, Canadian Conservation Institute
- March 2013 - An Introduction to Understanding Media Collections (Regina) Christina Stewart, Media Archivist, Toronto
- August 2011 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- September 2011 - RAD Refresher (Regina) Kelly Stewart, EAS Coordinator for the Archives Association of BC (AABC)
- March 2, 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Moose Jaw) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 14-15, 2012 - Emergency Planning (Saskatoon) Rosaleen Hill, AABC BCAPS Coordinator
- March 30, 2012 - Mini-Media Boot Camp (Regina) Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.
- June 2010 - AGM Presentation: Archival Research Experiences (La Ronge) Doug Chisholm researcher and Frank Korvemaker, the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan
- October 2010 - Introduction to Archives (Regina) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- October 2010 - Developing & Implementing a Holdings Maintenance Program (Regina) Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services
- March 2011 - A Privacy Primer - (Regina) Erin M. S. Kleisinger, Partner, McDougall-Gauley, LLP
- May 2009 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor
- June 2009 - Day prior to AGM: Copyright Law (Saskatoon) Dr. Jean Dryden
- September 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor
- March 2010 - Introduction to Managing a Digitization Project (Regina) Rosaleen Hill, AABC BCAPS Coordinator and Kelly Stewart, AABC EAS Coordinator
- May 2008 - Archives and You conference and workshops (Regina) - organized by CCA with SCAA
- August 2008 - Introduction to Managing Archival Sound and Moving Image Materials (Saskatoon) Bill Wagner, Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan and Brock Silversides
- March 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) (Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist)
- July 2007 - Archival Description: Inventories and Finding Aids (RAD Part I) (Regina) Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist
- August 2007 - Archival Description: Headings and References (RAD part II) (Saskatoon) Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- Introduction to Archives (Prince Albert) Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor
- November 2007 - Public Awareness (Saskatoon) Kim Ali, Leah Brodie and Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.
- June 2006 - AGM Presentation: Office Ergonomics (Craik) Sask. Occupational Health and Safety
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2007 - Emergency Preparedness (Saskatoon) Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services
- June 2005 - Workshops organized by SCAA and conducted in partnership with the Association of Canadian Archivists (ACA) Conference (Saskatoon)
- Promotion and Archives
- Administering Privacy & Access Legislation in Canadian Archives
- Digitization Round-table
- Aboriginal Awareness
- March 2006 - Exhibits and Promotions (Saskatoon) Greg Burke, Curator of the Diefenbaker Canada Centre, and Dr. Barbara Phillips
- March 2006 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2005 - Copyright Law (Regina) Dr. Jean Dryden
- November 2003 - Advanced archival photograph workshop (Saskatoon) Manfred Buchheit, Newfoundland and Labrador photographer
- March 2004 -CCI Modern information carriers (Regina) Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI
- May 2002 - Addressing Digitization: Issues, Myths and Challenges (Regina) Terry Kuny
- February 2003 - Arrangement and Description (Moose Jaw) Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist
- Basic Archives Day (Prince Albert)
- Preparing for a Conservation Assessment at Your Archives (Saskatoon)
- Raising CAIN on the Prairies (Regina) - joint Saskatchewan/Manitoba workshop
- Archival Principles and Procedures (Lloydminster) Janice Brum, SCAA Outreach Archivist