In 2008 the SCAA began participating in the Saskatchewan program by awarding a prize to the project in each region that best utilizes primary sources. The SCAA also produced the SHF Participant Toolkit to help students and teachers with Archival definitions.
Though the program has changed since then, what has stayed the same for Heritage Fairs throughout has been the goals:
- to create an environment where students are excited to learn and share;
- to provide recognition for student achievement;
- to celebrate cultural diversity and multiple perspectives;
- to reveal connections between the past and present; and
- to inspire Canadians to celebrate their place in history.
(Adapted from information provided by Heritage Saskatchewan)
The Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists (SCAA) is looking for members to volunteer to help judge students from grades 4 - 8 who are participating in the Regional Heritage Fairs in Moose Jaw, Regina, Saskatoon and Swift Current and the Provincial Fair in 2019.
Watch for the 2020 Regional Heritage Fair dates
- 2019 Provincial Heritage Fair - Tuesday and Wednesday May 28-29, at Government House, Regina
Both SCAA and our friends at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (PAS) are always excited to support the Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs and recognize the effort of the youth of the province has put into their projects by offering a plaque for the project in each region that makes the best use of archival or primary materials.
At the Provincial Fair, a project is similarly recognized for the Archives Award, but in addition to a plaque the winner is presented with a $500 cheque from SCAA and PAS.
The 2019 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair took place on Thursday, May 9th, at the Moose Jaw Western Development Museum.
Congratulations to Avery Surtees, who is in Grade 7 at King George Elementary School in Moose Jaw, SK. On being selected for the Archives Award at the Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair. Her project was entitled “Chris Hadfield: The First Canadian Commander of the ISS”
- Annual General Meetings (AGM)
- Archives Week
- By-laws and Plans
- Directory of Archives in Saskatchewan
- Grants and Funding
- Institutions Virtual Exhibits
- Member login
- Blog - Outside the Box
- Public Awareness Resources
- SAIN Photograph Database
- SAIN Collections Database
- SCAA Virtual Exhibits
- Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs
- YouTube videos - Lives and Letters
- YouTube videos - The Truth is in There