In 2008 the SCAA began participating in the Saskatchewan program by awarding a prize to the project in each region that best utilizes primary sources. The SCAA also produced the SHF Participant Toolkit to help students and teachers with Archival definitions.
Though the program has changed since then, what has stayed the same for Heritage Fairs throughout has been the goals:
- to create an environment where students are excited to learn and share;
- to provide recognition for student achievement;
- to celebrate cultural diversity and multiple perspectives;
- to reveal connections between the past and present; and
- to inspire Canadians to celebrate their place in history.
(Adapted from information provided by Heritage Saskatchewan)
The Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists (SCAA) is looking for members to volunteer to help judge students from grades 4 - 8 who are participating in the Regional Heritage Fairs in Moose Jaw, Regina, Saskatoon and Swift Current and the Provincial Fair in 2020.
- 2020 Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair - Tues. April 28, Swift Current Museum (44 Robert St. W)
- 2020 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair- Thurs. April 30, Western Development Museum (50 Diefenbaker Dr.)
- 2020 Saskatoon Tribal Council Regional Heritage Fair - TBD
- 2020 Regina Regional Heritage Fair - Fri. May 8, Campus Regina Public (1069 14th Ave E)
- 2020 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair - Wed. May 13 & Thurs. May 14, Western Development Museum (2610 Lorne Ave)
- Please note: Judging of projects at the Saskatoon RHF takes place in the evening of May 13. Students must be present that evening in order to receive a score and be eligible for awards and/or advancement.
- 2020 Provincial Heritage Fair - Tuesday and Wednesday May 26-27, at Government House, Regina
Both SCAA and our friends at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (PAS) are always excited to support the Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs and recognize the effort of the youth of the province has put into their projects by offering a plaque for the project in each region that makes the best use of archival or primary materials.
At the Provincial Fair, a project is similarly recognized for the Archives Award, but in addition to a plaque the winner is presented with a $500 cheque from SCAA and PAS.
The 2019 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair took place on Thursday, May 9th, at the Moose Jaw Western Development Museum.
Congratulations to Avery Surtees, who is in Grade 7 at King George Elementary School in Moose Jaw, SK. On being selected for the Archives Award at the Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair. Her project was entitled “Chris Hadfield: The First Canadian Commander of the ISS”
- Annual General Meetings (AGM)
- Archives Week
- By-laws and Plans
- Directory of Archives in Saskatchewan
- Grants and Funding
- Institutions Virtual Exhibits
- Member login
- Blog - Outside the Box
- Public Awareness Resources
- MemorySask - SAIN Database
- SCAA Virtual Exhibits
- Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs
- YouTube videos - Lives and Letters
- YouTube videos - The Truth is in There