In 2008 the SCAA began participating in the Saskatchewan program by awarding a prize to the project in each region that best utilizes primary sources. The SCAA also produced the SHF Participant Toolkit to help students and teachers with Archival definitions.
Though the program has changed since then, what has stayed the same for Heritage Fairs throughout has been the goals:
- to create an environment where students are excited to learn and share;
- to provide recognition for student achievement;
- to celebrate cultural diversity and multiple perspectives;
- to reveal connections between the past and present; and
- to inspire Canadians to celebrate their place in history.
(Adapted from information provided by Heritage Saskatchewan)
Regional Heritage Fairs
The Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists (SCAA) is looking for members to volunteer to help judge students from grades 4 - 8 who are participating in the Regional Heritage Fairs in Moose Jaw, Regina, Saskatoon and Swift Current and the Provincial Fair in 2018.
2018 Regional Heritage Fairs dates
- 2018 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair - Thurs. April 19, Moose Jaw Western Development Museum
- 2018 Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair - Thurs. April 26, Swift Current Museum
- 2018 Saskatoon Tribal Council Regional Heritage Fair - TBA
- 2018 Regina Regional Heritage Fair - Fri. May 4, Campus Regina Public (1069 14th Ave E)
- 2018 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair - Thurs./Fri. May 10-11, Saskatoon Western Development Museum
Provincial Heritage Fair - Government House in Regina
- 2018 Provincial Heritage Fair - Wednesday and Thursday May 23-24, at Government House, Regina
Both SCAA and our friends at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (PAS) are always excited to support the Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs and recognize the effort of the youth of the province has put into their projects by offering a plaque for the project in each region that makes the best use of archival or primary materials.
At the Provincial Fair a project is similarly recognized for the Archives Award, but in addition to a plaque the winner is presented with a $500 cheque from SCAA and PAS.
This year the Provincial Heritage Fair was held May 25 at Government House in Regina.
Congratulations to Eryn Kielo, grade 8 from Delisle, on winning the Provincial Archives Award for her project on "Jack Hitchcock"
Moose Jaw - Western Development Museum
2018 Moose Jaw Regional Heritage Fair - Thursday, April 19, at the Moose Jaw Western Development Museum
The 2017 Moose Jaw Regional Fair was held on Thursday, April 27.
Congratulations to Megan T., in Grade 5 at the Belle Plaine Colony School, on winning the Archives Award for her project on "Hutterite Women"
Regina - Campus Regina Public
2018 Regina Regional Heritage Fair - Friday May 4, at Campus Regina Public (1069 14th Ave E)
The 2017 Regina Regional Heritage Fair was held on Friday, May 5.
Congratulations to Talon Manby, grade 7 at Indian Head High School, on winning the Archives Award for her project on the "Indian Head Research Farm"
Saskatoon - Western Development Museum
- 2018 Saskatoon Regional Heritage Fair - Thursday and Friday May 10-11, at the Saskatoon Western Development Museum
The 2017 Saskatoon Regional Fair was held on Thursday, May 4 and Friday, May 5.
Congratulations to Brock Kell and Jessa Rohachuck, grade 6 John Lake School on winning the Archives Award for their project "Million Dollar Quartet" on the Broadway Theater in Saskatoon
Swift Current - Swift Current Museum
2018 Swift Current Regional Heritage Fair - Thursday April 26, Swift Current Museum
The 2017 Swift Current Regional Fair was held on Friday, April 28.
Congratulations to Sophia Curti, in Grade 6 at All Saints Catholic School, on winning the Archives Award for the project on "Laura Secord"
- Annual General Meetings (AGM)
- Archives Week
- By-laws and Plans
- Directory of Archives in Saskatchewan
- Grants and Funding
- Institutions Virtual Exhibits
- Member login
- Blog - Outside the Box
- Public Awareness Resources
- SAIN Photograph Database
- SAIN Collections Database
- SCAA Virtual Exhibits
- Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs
- YouTube videos - Lives and Letters
- YouTube videos - The Truth is in There