The SCAA's education program is an important part of our mandate. Workshop topics have included copyright, arrangement and description of archival holdings, digitization for archives, managing audio-visual records, the preservation of historic photographs, the preservation of optical and magnetic media (modern information carriers), and public awareness for archives.
See our list of previous workshops below.
Digital Preservation Workshop
On Monday and Tuesday, February 27-28, 2017, 10am-5pm, in the Computer Lab of the University of Saskatchewan's Murray Library (Room 161), Saskatoon, the SCAA will host a Digital Preservation workshop presented by Jeremy Heil.
Jeremy has been the Digital and Private Records Archivist (formerly Technical Services Archivist) at Queen’s University Archives since 2001. He holds a Master of Archival Studies degree from the University of British Columbia and a B.A. (Honours) in History and Visual Arts from Brock University. Prior to working at Queen’s, he was employed as an archivist with the Chung Collection in Vancouver, and in the Private Records Section of the Provincial Archives of Alberta. He is former president of the Archives Association of Ontario, and has served on numerous committees locally, provincially and nationally over the years. He has taught workshops on electronic records, photographs and artworks in archives, and presented papers on various topics. His publications include "The Procrustean Bed: A History of the Arrangement of the Al Purdy fonds" Archivaria 76 (Fall 2013) and "Stones: Using Mashups to Understand a City’s Social Tapestry,” The Interactive Archivist: Case Studies in Utilizing Web 2.0 to Improve the Archival Experience (Society of American Archivists, 2009), He is currently the Managing Editor of Archivaria.
Any person working in an institution with concerns about preserving collections digitally or cataloguing “born-digital” collections, be they archival or museum in nature, should consider attending this workshop.
- understand the importance of policies and procedures in the creation and management of an electronic records program
- learn about Open Archival Information System standard and model, and how it applies to digital archives
- learn about the nature of records created in a digital environment
- understand the importance of metadata and learn about relevant metadata standards
- know how to plan for the acquisition of records from different media and systems
- become aware of special needs for access to information stored on each medium
- learn of legal concerns for acquisition and access
- understand proper processing methods for electronic records
- practice working with commonly used electronic records acquisition and preservation tools
- understand theories of archival arrangement as applied in the digital realm
- understand conditions that need to be met for long-term storage and preservation of electronic records
- know how to care for and store various electronic media
- understand specific Rules for Archives Description as they apply to electronic records
- examine the needs and abilities of their respective institutions to select certain preservation strategies
- identify how specific software can be used in their work with electronic records
- discuss the benefits and challenges of both open-source and proprietary solutions
- understand how to test and implement software for use in the archives
Coffee and refreshments will be available for participants.
Lunch will be on your own.
Aboriginal Awareness Workshop
On Tuesday September 20, 2016 from 10am to 5pm at the Murray Library of the University of Saskatchewan in Room 154. The Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists (SCAA) was pleased to present this workshop in cooperation with the Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan (MCoS).
Any person working in an institution with Aboriginal collections, be they archival or museum in nature should consider attending this workshop.
Jessica Generoux, is a Library Technician, Archivist & Collector of Elders’ stories at the Saskatchewan Indian Cultural Centre (SICC).
Rhonda Rosenberg is the Executive Director of the Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan (MCoS). She has been working with the multicultural community in Saskatchewan since 1995.
Yordanos Tesfamariam is the Education & BRIDGES Coordinator at the Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan (MCoS).
- Introduction to the worldviews, spiritual ideas, cultural values and protocols of Indigenous people in Saskatchewan.
- Highlights of historical and contemporary issues that influence Aboriginal peoples.
- Examples of the rich diversities within and among Indigenous communities.
- Building trust and respectful relationships through awareness, comfort, confidence and much improved communication
Introduction to Basic Archives workshop
The SCAA is pleased to offer "Basic Archives" workshops for volunteers.
Currently we will hold a workshop on Saturday September 17th in Regina at the Regina Public Library.
Though it is open to all and registration is FREE, participation is limited to the accommodations available. Please contact scaa
Also, as it is a FREE workshop, handouts are limited to 10 participants and lunch will be on your own.
This workshop is structured for a novice or someone looking for a refresher and would include:
- What are Archives?
- Archival Institutions and the Role of the Archivist
- Fundamental Principles of Archives
- Appraisal and Acquisition
- Arrangement and Description
- Making Archives Available
- Preservation and the Digital World
The SCAA is asking if there is any interest in "Basic Archives" workshops.
Dates will be determined by the level of interest.
Previous Workshops and Presentations
- April 29, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Esterhazy - Esterhazy Community Museum) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor)
- June 10, 2015 - Presentation: SaskCulture Diversity Planning Program (Regina prior to ACA Conference) (Dean Kush, SaskCulture, Assistant General Manager)
- October 5, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Saskatoon Public Library) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor)
- April 10, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Dance Saskatchewan Inc.) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- May 28, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - SCAA/b-Creative offices) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 20, 2014 - Presentation: Main Street Prince Albert Program (Prince Albert - Prince Albert Historical Society) (Bob Gill, Main Street PA Coordinator)
- October 7, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Melfort - Melfort and District Museum) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- March 27, 2015 - Emergency Preparedness for Flooding (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) (Jane Dalley, Dalley-Froggat Heritage Conservation Services)
- April 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- May 31, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Watrous) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 21, 2013 - Digitizing Saskatchewan: Strategies and Best Practices for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Content (Moose Jaw) (Craig Herkima, Joel Salt, Lindsay Stokalko - Sask. History Online)
- September 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (North Battleford) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- October 25, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Rosetown) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- December 6, 2013 - Copyright and Archival Collections (Saskatoon) (Dr. Jean Dryden)
- March 26, 2014 - Modern Information Carriers (Yorkton) (Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI)
- June 2012 - Social Media: Strategy to Execution (North Battleford) (Braden Cannon, Special Projects Archivist, Provincial Archives of Alberta)
- September 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Lloydminster) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- October 2012 - Care of Photographic Material (Saskatoon) (Greg Hill, Film Conservator, Canadian Conservation Institute)
- March 2013 - An Introduction to Understanding Media Collections (Regina) (Christina Stewart, Media Archivist, Toronto)
- August 2011 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- September 2011 - RAD Refresher (Regina) (Kelly Stewart, AABC EAS Coordinator)
- March 2012 - Mini-Media Boot Camp (Regina) (Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.)
- March 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Moose Jaw) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 2010 - Archival Research Experiences (La Ronge) (Doug Chisholm and Frank Korvemaker) attached to AGM
- October 2010 - Introduction to Archives (Regina) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- October 2010 - Developing & Implementing a Holdings Maintenance Program (Regina) (Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services)
- March 2011 - A Privacy Primer - (Regina) (Erin M. S. Kleisinger, Partner, McDougall-Gauley, LLP)
- May 2009 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) (Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 2009 - Copyright Law (Saskatoon) (Dr. Jean Dryden) attached to AGM
- September 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- March 2010 - Introduction to Managing a Digitization Project (Regina) (Rosaleen Hill, AABC BCAPS Coordinator and Kelly Stewart, AABC EAS Coordinator)
- May 2008 - Archives and You conference and workshops (Regina) - organized by CCA with SCAA
- August 2008 - Introduction to Managing Archival Sound and Moving Image Materials (Saskatoon) (Bill Wagner, SAB and Brock Silversides)
- March 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) (Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist)
- July 2007 - Archival Description: Inventories and Finding Aids (RAD Part I) (Regina) (Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist)
- August 2007 - Archival Description: Headings and References (RAD part II) (Saskatoon) (Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist)
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- Introduction to Archives (Prince Albert) (Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- November 2007 - Public Awareness (Saskatoon) (Kim Ali, Leah Brodie and Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.)
- June 2006 - Office Ergonomics (Craik) (Sask. Occupational Health and Safety) attached to AGM
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2007 - Emergency Preparedness (Saskatoon) (Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services)
- June 2005 - Workshops organized by SCAA and conducted in partnership with the Association of Canadian Archivists (ACA) Conference (Saskatoon)
- Promotion and Archives
- Administering Privacy & Access Legislation in Canadian Archives
- Digitization Round-table
- Aboriginal Awareness
- March 2006 - Exhibits and Promotions (Saskatoon) (Greg Burke, Curator of the Diefenbaker Canada Centre, and Dr. Barbara Phillips)
- March 2006 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2005 - Copyright Law (Regina) (Dr. Jean Dryden)
- November 2003 - Advanced archival photograph workshop (Saskatoon) (Manfred Buchheit, NL photographer)
- March 2004 - Modern information carriers (Regina) (Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI)
- May 2002 - Addressing Digitization: Issues, Myths and Challenges (Regina) (Terry Kuny)
- February 2003 - Arrangement and Description (Moose Jaw) (Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist)
- Basic Archives Day (Prince Albert)
- Preparing for a Conservation Assessment at Your Archives (Saskatoon)
- Raising CAIN on the Prairies (Regina) - joint Saskatchewan/Manitoba workshop
- Archival Principles and Procedures (Lloydminster) (Janice Brum, SCAA Outreach Archivist)
PD Fund/Travel Subsidy
Through SaskCulture and the Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund for Sport, Culture, and Recreation, the SCAA is able to offer financial support for members' travel to Council-sponsored workshops as well as other professional development opportunities. The guidelines and application form are available for download below. Completed applications should be sent to the SCAA office.
SCAA Office: Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists, 202-1275 Broad St., Regina, SK S4R 1Y2
Tel: (306) 780-9414; Fax: (306) 585-1765;
- Annual General Meetings (AGM)
- Archives Week
- By-laws and Plans
- Directory of Archives in Saskatchewan
- Grants and Funding
- Institutions Virtual Exhibits
- Member login
- Public Awareness Resources
- SAIN Photograph Database
- SAIN Collections Database
- SCAA Virtual Exhibits
- Youth Heritage Fairs
- YouTube videos - Lives and Letters
- YouTube videos - The Truth is in There