The SCAA's education program is an important part of our mandate. Workshop topics have included copyright, arrangement and description of archival holdings, digitization for archives, managing audio-visual records, the preservation of historic photographs, the preservation of optical and magnetic media (modern information carriers), and public awareness for archives.
See our list of previous workshops below.
Monday March 12, 2018 - Respect and Relationship: Eugene Arcand and Blanket Exercise Workshop (Regina, First Nations University - Multi-Purpose Room)
The Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists is pleased to present this workshop in cooperation with Office of the Treaty Commissioner, First Nations University of Canada and Kairos Canada
Morning Presenter: Mr. Eugene Arcand
A Cree from the Muskeg Lake First Nation in Saskatchewan, Mr. Arcand spent 10 years at the St. Michael Indian Residential School in Duck Lake and 1 year at the Lebret Student Residence, both in Saskatchewan.
Over the last 37 years, Mr. Arcand has served the Saskatchewan First Nations community in a variety of capacities particularly with the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations as an Education Liaison Worker, an Executive Assistant for the North Battleford District and as an elected Vice-Chief. He also served as the Executive Director of the Prince Albert Indian and Metis Friendship Centre. Mr. Arcand has dedicated much of his time as an organizer of major events such as regional and national First Nations sports, cultural events, tourism, as well as events geared toward First Nations' youth advancement.
A Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame inductee, Mr. Arcand also received the Saskatchewan Tourism Ambassador Award in 1997 and was named Prince Albert Citizen of the Year in 1994.
Over the past few years Mr. Arcand has worked on ensuring that both the public and survivor communities are kept informed of the developments and processes linked to the Indian Residential School Settlement Agreement.
A teaching tool to share the historic and contemporary relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada.
- Introduction to the worldviews, spiritual ideas, cultural values and protocols of Indigenous people in Saskatchewan.
- Highlights historical and contemporary issues that influence Aboriginal peoples.
- Building trust and respectful relationships through awareness, comfort, confidence and much improved communications.
Lunch and refreshments will be available for participants.
Complimentary parking for this event will be assigned to Lot 12.
See map here
To register please download and complete the below form
Previous Workshops and Presentations 2017-18
- June 23, 2017 - AGM Presentation: Information Webinar on ARCHIVESCANADA Digital Preservation Service (ACDPS) (Swift Current - Swift Current Museum) (Sarah Allain, Systems Archivist for Artefactual, the creators of the Access to Memory DB (AtoM) and Archivmatica)
June 24, 2016 - AGM Presentation: Collecting and organizing documents of Residential Schools for the Truth & Reconciliation Commission (Saskatoon - Western Development Museum) (Melanie Delva, Archivist for the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster Provincial Synod of BC & Yukon.)
- September 17, 2016 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - Regina Public Library) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor)
- September 20, 2016 - Aboriginal Awareness Workshop (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) (the Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Indigenous Cultural Centre)
- February 27-28, 2017 - Digital Preservation Workshop (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) (Jeremy Heil, Digital and Private Records Archivist at Queen’s University Archives)
- April 29, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Esterhazy - Esterhazy Community Museum) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor)
- June 10, 2015 - AGM Presentation: SaskCulture Diversity Planning Program (Regina prior to ACA Conference) (Dean Kush, SaskCulture, Assistant General Manager)
- October 5, 2015 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Saskatoon Public Library) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor)
- January 13, 2016 - Copyright for Archives and Libraries (Regina - University of Regina) (Dr. Jean Dryden)
- April 10, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon - Dance Saskatchewan Inc.) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- May 28, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Regina - SCAA/b-Creative offices) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 20, 2014 - AGM Presentation: Main Street Prince Albert Program (Prince Albert - Prince Albert Historical Society) (Bob Gill, Main Street PA Coordinator)
- October 7, 2014 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Melfort - Melfort and District Museum) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- March 27, 2015 - Emergency Preparedness for Flooding (Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan) (Jane Dalley, Dalley-Froggat Heritage Conservation Services)
- April 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Saskatoon) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- May 31, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Watrous) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 21, 2013 - AGM Presentation Digitizing Saskatchewan: Strategies and Best Practices for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Content (Moose Jaw) (Craig Herkima, Joel Salt, Lindsay Stokalko - Sask. History Online)
- September 11, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (North Battleford) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- October 25, 2013 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Rosetown) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- December 6, 2013 - Copyright and Archival Collections (Saskatoon) (Dr. Jean Dryden)
- March 26, 2014 - Modern Information Carriers (Yorkton) (Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI)
- June 2012 - Day prior to AGM Social Media: Strategy to Execution (North Battleford) (Braden Cannon, Special Projects Archivist, Provincial Archives of Alberta)
- September 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Lloydminster) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- October 2012 - Care of Photographic Material (Saskatoon) (Greg Hill, Film Conservator, Canadian Conservation Institute)
- March 2013 - An Introduction to Understanding Media Collections (Regina) (Christina Stewart, Media Archivist, Toronto)
- August 2011 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- September 2011 - RAD Refresher (Regina) (Kelly Stewart, AABC EAS Coordinator)
- March 2012 - Mini-Media Boot Camp (Regina) (Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.)
- March 2012 - Introduction to Basic Archives (Moose Jaw) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 2010 - AGM Presentation: Archival Research Experiences (La Ronge) (Doug Chisholm and Frank Korvemaker)
- October 2010 - Introduction to Archives (Regina) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- October 2010 - Developing & Implementing a Holdings Maintenance Program (Regina) (Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services)
- March 2011 - A Privacy Primer - (Regina) (Erin M. S. Kleisinger, Partner, McDougall-Gauley, LLP)
- May 2009 - Introduction to Archives (Saskatoon) (Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- June 2009 - Day prior to AGM Copyright Law (Saskatoon) (Dr. Jean Dryden)
- September 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- March 2010 - Introduction to Managing a Digitization Project (Regina) (Rosaleen Hill, AABC BCAPS Coordinator and Kelly Stewart, AABC EAS Coordinator)
- May 2008 - Archives and You conference and workshops (Regina) - organized by CCA with SCAA
- August 2008 - Introduction to Managing Archival Sound and Moving Image Materials (Saskatoon) (Bill Wagner, SAB and Brock Silversides)
- March 2009 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon) (Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist)
- July 2007 - Archival Description: Inventories and Finding Aids (RAD Part I) (Regina) (Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist)
- August 2007 - Archival Description: Headings and References (RAD part II) (Saskatoon) (Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archivist)
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- Introduction to Archives (Prince Albert) (Carey Issak, SCAA Archives Advisor)
- November 2007 - Public Awareness (Saskatoon) (Kim Ali, Leah Brodie and Nowshad (Shad) Ali, On Purpose Leadership Inc.)
- June 2006 - Office Ergonomics (Craik) (Sask. Occupational Health and Safety) attached to AGM
- NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2007 - Emergency Preparedness (Saskatoon) (Jane Dalley, Conservator, Dalley-Froggatt Heritage Conservation Services)
- June 2005 - Workshops organized by SCAA and conducted in partnership with the Association of Canadian Archivists (ACA) Conference (Saskatoon)
- Promotion and Archives
- Administering Privacy & Access Legislation in Canadian Archives
- Digitization Round-table
- Aboriginal Awareness
- March 2006 - Exhibits and Promotions (Saskatoon) (Greg Burke, Curator of the Diefenbaker Canada Centre, and Dr. Barbara Phillips)
- March 2006 - NADP workshop (Saskatoon)
- March 2005 - Copyright Law (Regina) (Dr. Jean Dryden)
- November 2003 - Advanced archival photograph workshop (Saskatoon) (Manfred Buchheit, NL photographer)
- March 2004 - Modern information carriers (Regina) (Joe Iraci - Canadian Conservation Institute CCI)
- May 2002 - Addressing Digitization: Issues, Myths and Challenges (Regina) (Terry Kuny)
- February 2003 - Arrangement and Description (Moose Jaw) (Jeff O'Brien, City of Saskatoon Archivist)
- Basic Archives Day (Prince Albert)
- Preparing for a Conservation Assessment at Your Archives (Saskatoon)
- Raising CAIN on the Prairies (Regina) - joint Saskatchewan/Manitoba workshop
- Archival Principles and Procedures (Lloydminster) (Janice Brum, SCAA Outreach Archivist)
PD Fund/Travel Subsidy
Through SaskCulture and the Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund for Sport, Culture, and Recreation, the SCAA is able to offer financial support for members' travel to Council-sponsored workshops as well as other professional development opportunities. The guidelines and application form are available for download below. Completed applications should be sent to the SCAA office.
SCAA Office: Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists, 202-1275 Broad St., Regina, SK S4R 1Y2
Tel: (306) 780-9414; Fax: (306) 585-1765;
- Annual General Meetings (AGM)
- Archives Week
- By-laws and Plans
- Directory of Archives in Saskatchewan
- Grants and Funding
- Institutions Virtual Exhibits
- Member login
- Blog - Outside the Box
- Public Awareness Resources
- SAIN Photograph Database
- SAIN Collections Database
- SCAA Virtual Exhibits
- Saskatchewan Heritage Fairs
- YouTube videos - Lives and Letters
- YouTube videos - The Truth is in There